Take the stress and the uncertainty out of wedding planning with our printable checklist and timeline
Post-engagement high, and right before you start to look at wedding venues, is a good time to find a free printable wedding planning checklist. A handy timeline that’ll point out certain tasks that should be completed before the big day, and when best to get them done. And funnily enough, we have one for you!
These days, there is so much information available online for free that’ll help you plan your wedding. At Wedding Planning Assistant, we have countless guides and tools available to use completely free of charge that’ll transform your planning experience. Meaning there’s no need to invest in expensive books on event planning, or sign up for wedding services that cost the earth. Because we are providing the whole wedding planning package, for free.
Not only that, but we also have completely free wedding planning tools, including a printable checklist maker. An easy-to-use tool that’ll help you list every task that needs to be done between now and your big day. You’ll find it in your wedding project.
A Guide to Our Printable Wedding Planning Checklist
The typical engagement length is between 12 and 18 months in the US. Yours may be longer, or shorter than that. There’s no right or wrong answer. But for the purposes of our timeline, we’ve used a 12-month window to create our printable wedding planning checklist. As this length of time is ideal for planning a wedding, and can be easily adapted to suit any engagement journey.
If your wedding date is actually in 6 months time, rather than 12, then all you need to do is condense down the tasks we’ve listed in our timeline to fit your unique schedule. Adapt the information we’ve provided to create something that reflects your wedding planning journey.
By using a simple, free and printable wedding checklist PDF, we believe the bulk of the stress often felt during planning should be lifted. And actually, you might find it fun! Checking off tasks in bite size chunks. Looking forward to the next month, knowing that you’ve got some new and exciting little jobs to do – it’s really fulfilling! Knowing that with every checkmark, you’re one step closer to tying the knot!
Our Printable Wedding Planning Checklist
Even though we love our lives being 99.9% digital, we understand there are those that still love to get their pens and paper out. And we can understand why! It feels good to dedicate an area of your house or apartment to wedding planning, and have inspiration and materials printed out within that space.
For many, using a printable wedding planning checklist, over a PDF that lives on the computer, offers a much better way of keeping track of time. As it’s a constant reminder. Whether it’s stuck on your fridge, up in your office or anywhere else in your home, you’re going to see that timeline on a regular basis – whether you like it or not! Meaning, critical tasks are less likely to slip your mind.
Ready to start wedding planning? Let’s get to it!
After the Engagement
- Begin wedding research – venues, locations.
- Work out your budget
- Insure your engagement ring
- Start sketching out a guest list
- Discuss each other’s wishes for the wedding day.
- Throw an engagement celebration – if you want!
12 Months Until the Wedding
- Pick a wedding date.
- Book your wedding reception and ceremony venue.
- Start researching priority vendors such as photographers, videographers and planners.
- Research wedding themes.
- Consider wedding insurance.
11 Months Until the Wedding
- Book your photographer, videographer, caterer, musicians – the most in-demand vendors.
- Decide on your wedding party and let them know their roles.
- Finalize guest list.
- Decide on your wedding theme.
10 Months Until the Wedding
- Begin shopping for wedding dresses.
- Reserve blocked accommodation for wedding guests.
- Reach out to rental companies.
- Create your wedding website.
- Have an engagement shoot with your photographer.
9 Months Until the Wedding
- Book your honeymoon.
- Send out save the dates.
- Order your wedding dress.
- Book any other pivotal vendors – wedding tent, heating, furniture, decor rentals etc.
8 Months Until the Wedding
- Book the florist.
- Order the wedding cake.
- Create a wedding gift registry.
- Start bridesmaid dress and groom suit shopping.
- Book a rehearsal dinner venue.
- Select an officiant.
- Send save the dates.
7 Months Until the Wedding
- Book transportation for the wedding day.
- Select the wedding menu.
- Plan your honeymoon.
6 Months Until the Wedding
- Order bridesmaid dresses & groom attire.
- Book hair and makeup for you and your party, if applicable.
- Order wedding invitations.
- Gather addresses for invitation mail out.
5 Months Until the Wedding
- Add the finishing touches to your wedding website.
- Buy or order wedding rings.
- Book a hair and makeup trial.
- Discuss wedding flowers with your florist.
- Organise legalities depending on your location and/or the religious nature of your ceremony.
4 Months Until the Wedding
- Send out invites for bridal shower.
- Purchase/arrange outfit accessories – shoes, veil, jewellery etc.
- Plan the finishing touches to your reception.
3 Months Until the Wedding
- Send out wedding invitations.
- Decide on wedding day schedule.
- Enjoy your bridal shower.
- Choose thank you gifts for loved ones.
2 Months Until the Wedding
- Celebrate bachelor/bachelorette/hen/stag party.
- Write your vows.
- Complete DIY items for reception and ceremony.
- Purchase smaller decor items – welcome signs, directions, cake toppers etc.
- Have stationery printed or made for the big day.
- Plan favors and welcome items.
1 Month Until the Wedding
- Apply for a marriage license.
- Attend final bridal fittings.
- Create your seating chart.
- Make final payments to vendors.
2 Weeks Until the Wedding
- Chase up late RSVPs.
- Touch base with critical vendors.
- Go through shot list with the photographer.
- Give final guest count to caterers and venue.
- Practice vows and speech.
1 Week Until the Wedding
- Pack an overnight bag.
- Break in wedding shoes.
- Confirm schedule for the day with event manager.
- Have last-minute beauty treatments such as a manicure, haircut, eyebrow shaping.
- Practice getting into your wedding dress with your helper/s – inc accessories and underwear.
- Pack an emergency wedding kit.
- Organize cash envelopes for vendors that need to be paid on the day. Assign someone to pay vendors.
The Day Before Your Wedding
- Print off the running order.
- Print off and/or email contact information to vendors and wedding party.
- Steam outfits.
- Exchange gifts with loved ones.
- Have your ceremony rehearsal and dinner.
- Drop off small pieces of decor at your venue.
- Get a good night’s sleep!
Explore additional pertinent subjects that are interconnected with the checklist
The online Wedding Planning Assistant features an extensive suite of professional tools and checklists meticulously curated to help you organize your celebration.
We offer an international wedding planner service, open to all. Soon we hope to make our software available in all languages, so far, we have created versions for these languages: